CHICAGO — Lollapalooza has announced its lineup for summer 2022 in Grant Park. Headliners for this summer’s music fest in Chicago include Metallica, Dua Lipa, J. Cole, Green Day, Doja Cat, Machine Gun Kelly, Lil Baby and Kygo.
Lollapalooza returns in full force this year, according to an announcement from the festival Tuesday, with more than 170 performances slated for eight stages on Chicago’s lakefront park over the last weekend of July. Also part of the mix is food from some 35 chefs and restaurants including vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free options. Plus Kidzapalooza is back this summer for the first time with free admission for children ages 10 and younger.
Also on the bill:
Jane’s Addiction, Glass Animals, Billy Strings, Big Sean, The Kid Laroi, Jazmine Sullivan, Don Toliver, Charli XCX, Idles, Turnstile, Kaskade, Rezz, The Marías, Zhu, YG, Dominic Fike, King Princess, Wallows, Still Woozy, Girl in Red, Ashnikko, Denzel Curry, BLXST, Black Coffee, Duke Dumont, Polo & Pan, Liquid Stranger, CloZee, Willow, Royal Blood, Maneskin, Manchester Orchestra, Cordae, Local Natives, Tove Lo and Caroline Polachek.
Chicago artists include 100 gecs, John Summit, Beach Bunny, Horsegirl and Jackie Hayes. New acts include Remi Wolf, Fletcher, Zach Bryan, PinkPantheress, Muna, Goth Babe, Role Model, Wet Leg, Gracie Abrams, Pi’erre Bourne, Glaive and Maude Latour.
Four-day tickets go on sale Tuesday, priced from $350 to $4,200 (see sidebar). Single-day passes will go on sale at a later date.
Lolla was one of the first big music fests back and running in Chicago last summer, scrambling at times to keep up with vaccine and mask requirements that were changing for the city and state even while the 2021 fest was in session. Lollapalooza is presented by Austin, Texas-based C3 Presents, a division of Live Nation.
In the announcement, the festival also said it would be introducing NFTs (nonfungible tokens) that fans can purchase; follow the Lollapalooza Metaverse Twitter account @LollaFrens.
C3 Presents, which is also putting on the new Sueños Music Festival, separately announced a first-time Music Festival Career Fair, a Chicago-based recruitment event aimed at those hoping to get into the music industry. Kennedy-King College will host the 10 a.m. April 2 event. The free event will be open to the public and catered toward students enrolled in City Colleges of Chicago. The lineup includes a recruitment fair featuring Lollapalooza and Sueños vendors, panel discussions, industry-focused workshops and a keynote lecture from music artist Rhymefest. More information is at lollajobfair.eventbrite.com. !
If you go
Lollapalooza 2022 will be 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. July 28-31, in Grant Park. The following packages are available for purchase at www.lollapalooza.com:
- Four-day general admission, including free water stations; lockers with charging capabilities for rent; children 10 and younger free with access to Kidzapalooza: from $350.
- Four-day general admission+ adds shade and seating in two areas near Buckingham Fountain; premium restrooms; full-service bar with preferred pricing on water, sodas, beer, wine and cocktails: from $650
- Four-day VIP adds elevated viewing platforms for the north and south main stages; access to the Lolla Lounges North and South; golf cart shuttle transportation between the Lolla Lounges; preferred pricing for locker rentals with mobile charging in Lolla Lounge South; dedicated entrance into the festival; express spa treatments and concierge services: from $1,500.
- Four-day platinum adds climate-controlled platinum lounges including cocktails, beer, wine and curated culinary offerings; prime viewing areas for six stages; golf cart shuttle transportation between all Platinum sites and the dedicated entrance; complimentary spa treatments, lockers, concierge services and a Lollapalooza merchandise gift; presale access to Lolla Aftershows: from $4,200.
- Layaway plans and hotel packages are also available; email firstname.lastname@example.org for Cabanas and Lolla Insider opportunities.